Register to Subscribe

Home arrow Alliances and Joint Ventures arrow Konecranes acquires WMI Cranes Ltd (India) for INR 3,600 million
Konecranes acquires WMI Cranes Ltd (India) for INR 3,600 million Print E-mail
Written by Vijay   
Tuesday, 01 March 2011
Mumbai: Konecranes has received the required regulatory approvals to acquire the Indian crane company WMI Cranes Ltd. The acquisition marks an important step in strengthening Konecranes' position in the growing Indian crane market.

Konecranes is acquiring WMI's shares in two phases. In the first phase Konecranes acquired 51 percent of the shares for INR 1,690 million (EUR 28 million). In the second phase, estimated to take place later during 2011, Konecranes will purchase the remaining 49 percent of the shares.

The sellers are entitled to a performance linked part of the purchase price and the total maximum price for 100 percent of the shares in WMI can amount to approximately INR 3,600 million (EUR 60 million).

In 2010, WMI’s net sales exceeded EUR 30 million and it has a strong order book to support further net sales growth in 2011.

WMI has an installed base of over 4,000 cranes in India and it has an extensive sales network throughout the country. The cranes supplied by WMI are used especially within steel, engineering, general manufacturing, cement, energy, shipyard and logistics industries. The company has a strong position in the fast growing Indian steel industry in particular.

WMI operates two production plants, one in Mumbai and one in Jejuri, near Pune, where it has recently invested in modern manufacturing technology. The company has an order book of more than EUR 50 million and its order intake prospects are good. WMI employs approximately 350 people and additionally contracted workforce of about 600 persons.

"WMI boosts our presence significantly in the fast growing Indian crane market. Our aim is to further grow the business potential by extending the offering with technologies developed by Konecranes. The product offerings of the two companies complement each other very well. Furthermore, the acquisition of WMI adds India truly into our sourcing and supply network. Finally, WMI creates an excellent base for building our service business in India, in addition to our growing current service business, via its vast installed crane base," says Pekka Lundmark, President and CEO of Konecranes.

"Joining the forces of WMI and Konecranes creates a new leader in the fast-growing Indian crane Industry. Our customers will benefit in terms of combined offering of products and technology of both companies and high-quality service. This will establish a solid foundation for the prosperous future," says Gopal Vazirani, Managing Director and main owner of WMI.

WMI will be consolidated into Konecranes’ financial reporting from February 1, 2011. The purchase will be financed with existing cash reserves.

Related news
More recent
Earlier on
< Prev   Next >


Mazak - The world's largest machine tool builder
JYOTI - India's most dynamic machine builder
TaeguTec - Cost effective tooling solutions





Subscribe to MACHINIST by Email


RSS 1.0
This site is best viewed with Firefox 2.0 or higher at a minimum screen resolution of 1024x768